Thursday, May 27, 2010

Doing What I Love!




Wednesday we began our work in the PLC office. Coming into this internship, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to be doing or if i would even have the skill set to be a benefit to PLC. However, after receiving our assignments today, my fears were relieved. We began our meeting discussing PLC and the approaches PLC takes in sharing its message, the message of life-saving heart surgeries! I couldn’t be more excited about the people and organization I’m working with. We were then shown the tasks for the summer, and it seemed like the variety of tasks matched up so well with our variety of interns.This really is a talented and driven bunch we have here. We have photographers who’s work you can’t take your eyes away from, and writers who do amazing things (by the end of the summer they’ll probably be writing in Kurdish). For my own tasks, I’ll be planning a banquet for our kids that have gone through surgery, working with our Klash maker, and visiting doctors. You know that feeling you get when your a kid when you make a gift for your parents or something that your really proud of. Well, that’s how I feel about these tasks. I have a chance to contribute to something that I really want to share. I’ll now be able make a mark on every aspect of how I first came to know PLC. To explain, these kids have a curable condition and deserve a healthy chance at life, but PLC takes this love a bit further by empowering the shoemakers who’s work is used to help make these surgeries possible. Also, I am pre-med, so having the honor to visit these doctors will be more beneficial than i can imagine. If I seem excited, it’s because I am, and I hope, no matter what organization it is, that everyone can connect with something that really drives them to make a difference. PLC has provided that for so many.

Once the tasks were received, we were off to the races. A room full of creative and zealous college kids, i’d say the room was a bit crazy. My friend Ben and I took out to the Bazaar to meet with our friend and Klash maker Aram. While we were there, he welcomed us, brought us tea, and made an entire Klash sole in front of us. It’s an art that is hard to explain (hopefully I’ll have a video up). Anyway, thanks for reading. Kurdistan (Iraq) is a wonderful place worth telling people about, and I hope to tell you more soon.

Best wishes,

Preston

(Pictures top to bottom- Aram working sole, Aram's work station, Half of PLC office)

1 comment:

  1. It was great to hear your voice for the first time today since you have left. Dad and I needed that. We learn more and more from your blog about your surroundings and life there. Stay excited, you're doing praiseworthy work.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete